CrossFTP - Amazon Glacier Client
CrossFTP is a powerful Amazon Glacier client for Windows, Mac, and Linux. CrossFTP makes it extremely simple to use Amazon Glacier to handle your files. It helps to do uploads, downloads, backups, schedules, synchronization and backups with ease. It is suitable for power users managing many Amazon Glacier sites, as well as beginner creating his first site.
- Amazon Glacier Support - Store backups on Glacier with easy!
- Batch Transfer - Perfect reliability guarantees trouble-free tasks.
- Multi-part upload - Upload large files, up to 40TB!
- Inventory cache - Browse the vault inventory instantly.
- S3 Lifecycle Management - (PRO) Transite S3 object to Glacier.
- Split & Combine Tool - (PRO) Handle extra large file with easy.
- Turbo Engine - (PRO) Multi-thread enigne speed up your work!
- Scheduling - (PRO) Put your transfer/sync tasks in plan.
- Local Encryption - (PRO) Encrypt your files before transfer!
- GZip Compression - (PRO) compress the data to save the bill.
- Password Encryption - Protect the security of your account.
- Search - Narrow a long list of files in your vault.
- Synchronization - (PRO) Sync local and Glacier data visually.
- HTTP/Sock/FTP Proxy - (PRO) proxy and NTLM auth support.
- URL - (PRO) Create URLs to get the files.
- Unbeatable Price - powerful Amazon S3, FTP, FTPS, SFTP, FXP, WebDav, Amazon Glacier, and Google Storage client!
- and much more!
Connect to Amazon Glacier
1. If you have no Glacier account yet, sign up a new Glacier account.
2. Obtain the login credentials (Access Key ID and Secret Access Key) from your account's Security Credentials page, or you can use AWS Identity & Access Management (IAM)'s created credentials to connect.
3. Create a new Site in CrossFTP, choose Protocol as Amazon Glacier/HTTPS, or Amazon Glacier, and fill in the Access Key and Secret Key.
4. Host: fill in the Amazon Glacier's region endpoint in the host field. If you are using US East (Northern Virginia) region, the host field is:
If you want to store your data in another region (such as Europe, Sydney, etc.), you need to input the correct region endpoint, which is available from this page.
Each of the files and folders stored in Amazon Glacier is contained in a vault. It's like "top level folder" or "top level drive". You can create new vaults at the root folder of the Amazon Glacier site by choosing New -> New Folder from the context menu.
Retrieve the Vault Inventory Metadata
if you upload files using other Amazon Glacier tools, or the vault's content seems incorrect, you need to retrieve the vault inventory's metadata so that CrossFTP can cache the vault's content, and display the correct file list.
To retrieve the vault inventory metadata, you can simply press the Refresh folder button. CrossFTP will confirm with you whether you want to download the content of the vault inventory. it normally takes 5 hours before Amazon can finish the preparation to initiate the download of vault inventory.
Amazon Glacier is suitable for storing cold data (you will not retrieve the data frequent). To download file from Amazon Glacier, there are 2 phases:
- Retrieval phase - Amazon Glacier will firstly prepare your file (the retrieval phase) after you request a file retrieval request. Normally it will take 4~5 hours before Amazon can finish the preparation to initiate the download of file.
- Download phase - Download the prepared files from Amazon Glacier.
The retrieval phase itself may costs fee, and if you retrieve huge amount of file in a short time, the cost could be high. You need to control the retrieval rate to handle the cost. Here are the detail retrieval cost description and a cost calculator for your reference.
To help save your retrieval cost, CrossFTP provides a retrieval rate control tool. When you download the files from Glacier, it will confirm with you the retrieval rate.
When you connect to the Amazon Glacier, you should see a list of vaults in the root folder. If you cannot find a vault, please create a vault first (see Section "Create Vaule"). After that, you can upload your files and folders under your chosen vault.
Attention: you cannot directly put your files/folders in the root folder of Amazon Glacier. They can only be put in a Vault (level 1 folder in CrossFTP).
You can view file/folder's Metadata by right click on them, and choose Properties ... -> Metadata from the popup menu. The metadata are generated from the imported vault inventory, or from your upload/delete history.
- Client Side Encryption - this can be enabled for all uploads by Sites -> Site Manager -> Security -> Local Encryption for File Transfer -> Enable encryption. For more details, see this page.
GZip based data compression is supported, just choose Sites -> Site Manager ->Options -> Data Compression. After that, all files upoads for this site will be automatically compressed. In the log window, you should be able to find the messages like "GZip Compressed". In the Metadata file, you should be able to find key "crossftp-compression", and value "gzip". The download process will automatically uncompress the files.
Large files can be uploaded in parallel by the Multipart upload feature in Amazon Glacier. You can setup the part size at Tools -> Global Options -> S3/Glacier -> Multiupload Part Size.
Understand Archive Description (For Developers)
The archive description used in CrossFTP is key-value pairs, and the command key-value pairs are listed as follows:
For example, key=L0IyMDAyLmRtZw==;origin-date-iso8601=2013-06-06T13:40:40.000Z
Base64 encoding is a widely used encoding algorithm, and you can use http://www.base64decode.org/ to decode your file name if needed.
If you meet problem to delete a vault, you need to do is:
1. Retrieve the latest vault's inventory metadata to update the file list in your vault. Press the Refresh button to do the retrieve, and wait for about 5 hours to update.
2. Delete the vault.
Awards & Reviews
- "Powerful FTP client" - Dreamhost DreamObject.
- "It's a reliable app, the kind that extensively helps your work" - Mihai M., 5 Star Softpedia Editor's Review.
- Editor's pick - editor from BrotherSoft.
- Sun Cloud Storage Partner - JavaOne Show.
- One of "Best File Transfer Softwares 2009" - Eric G., PC Magzine.